Diving and Snorkelling in Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island is a pleasant change from the busy mainland of Vietnam. This relatively untouched island is slowly becoming a hot spot for scuba diving and with great reason! Diving is generally done from late September until late March each year. There are two main areas for scuba diving off of Phu Quoc Island. Diving and snorkelling generally takes place on the North-Western side of the island or around the small archipelago to the South. The best location for diving on any given day is dependent on the prevailing winds, which can change quickly. This makes diving with a local who is experienced in the area all the more worthwhile! Due to the Islands proximity to the Mekong delta region visibility is rarely as clear as found in high season in Nha Trang and Whale Island. That being said there is some excellent hard coral growth that has formed as a result of the nutrious run off.
A Typical Day Trip For Diving Phu Quoc Island
- Trips run on the morning to avoid the typically rougher seas in the afternoon. The day starts with hotel pick-ups between 7:30am – 8:00am if we are heading North or 7:00am to 7:30am if we are heading South. After pick-up you will be transferred to the harbour in Duong Dong. Please ensure you order a Take Away breakfast from your Hotel the night before.
- Journey time to Northern dive sites takes around 1 hour 30 minutes, to the South journeys take around 2 hours 30 minutes. On board you will receive a boat briefing introducing you to your PADI Professional for the day and they in turn will give you full equipment and dive or snorkel briefings for the sites we will visit.
- Once at the dive site we will gear up for your in-water adventure; be it diving, snorkelling, or participating in any one of the PADI courses we have available through our 5 Star IDC Centre. Enjoy the best diving and snorkelling on the eastern sea-board of Vietnam.
- During your surface interval we will move the boat to another location. During this time you can relax on the sun deck, help yourself to drinking water and/or some exotic freshly prepared fruit. During your break your equipment will be readied for your next dive by your guide. After your break jump back in to the warm waters around Phu Quoc for another adventure.
- After diving/snorkelling we serve a freshly prepared hot cooked Vietnamese lunch on the boat during your return journey. We typically return to harbour at approximately 2:00pm from the North or 5:00pm from the South. On the return journey your Divemaster or Instructor will help you to fill in your log books along with going through our on board FISH ID books. Once we have arrived back at the harbour you will be transferred back to your hotel.